800-222-9711

Cataloging Books In-Process

More
1 year 1 month ago #1442 by Lori Brown
Do you catalog books that are In-Process?We can add the grade/Adult; we never know the Alt. Length, and sometimes see the gender of the narrator. We can add subject codes if needed.It seems like double work to touch a book record two times, once when it's "In-Progress" and another when "Full Record." We have so many books to catalog, it's almost a full-time position some months, and we have subject mapping.
We have been trying to get to the "In-Process" books, but would it make a difference if we waited? Am I missing something?
Your thoughts are appreciated on this matter.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #1443 by dinabenson
Hi Lori, here at FL1A I leave the In Process records alone. We used to add series headings at that early stage, so patrons could go ahead and queue up for the cartridge copies, but between Keystone taking over our series heading administration and our move to DOD (thus less emphasis on static copies), it's pretty moot.
As for the rest of the fields, we know the info will load in the Completed batch, so it seems redundant (or at least overly ambitious for our limited staff, as you point out) to kinda jump the gun. But that's just us.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lori Brown

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #1444 by massbibliophile
Lori:

No, I don't think anyone touches In Process records, there really is no point as those records will be updated and any work you do may/will be overwritten (depending on how KLAS is set up for you all) when the final MARC records are uploaded. One good thing about the DBC/DBF/DBG records is that once they are loaded, you can do the clean up on them as they are then not going to be updated again*. * almost not, of course, there are exceptions.

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #1445 by Lori Brown
I had thought that the work would be overwritten but wasn't sure as I have not checked any of those records. I haven't had time with all of the cataloging.

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #1446 by patrick20k
Like James mentioned, it depends on how KLAS is set up! For some fields, with some filter settings, work on in-process records can be over-written as newer records (with theoretically more complete and accurate information) are loaded. If there are fields you like done "your way," and tend to update as records come in, we can check your settings and ensure that your filters are set up not to over-write that tag.

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds

KLAS Users - Keystone Systems, Inc. logo

Keystone Systems, Inc.
8016 Glenwood Ave., Suite 200
Raleigh, NC 27612
800-222-9711