800-222-9711

Subject Headings & Codes - care to share?

• jenr
  • jenr's Avatar Topic Author
  • RANK1
  • Librarian at Oregon Talking Book & Braille Library
More
2 weeks 11 hours ago #1709 by jenr
Does anyone want to do the Forum a solid and share your Excel/magic worksheet/document with your Subject Headings and codes you use? I can snoop via OPAC but I'm super curious to see what other libraries do in terms of local subjects and it would be great to have lists so I can see a larger, holistic picture of each setup.

How are your libraries incorporating/not incorporating 072/NLS Broad Descriptors? Do you dabble in Dewey? I'm dying to know. Really!

If it's a secret blend of 11 herbs and spices and you don't want to share, I understand. I get the impression that ours is pretty unique so I'm very curious and would love to see some different models.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 week 6 days ago #1710 by maureen
Hello there! I am proud to say I am part of the Patron Preferences team headed by Joshua Berkov in NC. We explore all of them, have shared spreadsheets, and discussions. There are monthly meetings, and we have a new extensive project now of wrangling local subject headings that you might enjoy. I can certainly share mine. The blank codes at the top will be merged if they can be, or deleted if not relevant. Have a wonderful day! Maureen
Attachments:

• jenr
  • RANK1
More
1 week 6 days ago #1711 by jenr
Thank you so much, Maureen!

It's that group that got me amped up about this - I'm so grateful for the work y'all are doing. Our codes are number based, not alphanumeric, and I think we've had mapping do a lot of heavy lifting between the Broad Descriptors and our own local subjects. I'm aiming to simplify things so we can focus on granular stuff that readers are asking for - Romantasy, Friends to Lovers Romance, etc. We'll see :)

• jenr
  • RANK1
More
1 week 6 days ago #1712 by jenr
Ooh a mix of Dewey and letters! I like it! Thank you so much for sharing, this is so helpful.

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds

KLAS Users - Keystone Systems, Inc. logo

Keystone Systems, Inc.
8016 Glenwood Ave., Suite 200
Raleigh, NC 27612
800-222-9711