How to get counts for your foreign language patrons:
Use Query to get a list of patrons with a Foreign Language Preference:
In Patron Query, select the following criteria on the Advanced Query Tab:
- Patron - MainStatus - Equals - A
- Preference - Type - Equals - PatLang
- Preference - Code - Equals - RUS
This query will return a list of all patrons with Russian as a language on their preferences. You would need to run this query for each of the languages you are checking. (Check your codes - not everyone uses RUS for Russian.)
Export data to Excel to get age ranges:
- From your Query set, Export the list using All Fields.
- Highlight and delete extraneous columns. You should be left with Patron ID, Patron Type, Age
- Add a column for Language and fill it with the language you queried on.
- Sort your spreadsheet by Age.
- Add a column for Age Range. Fill in the value based on the Age for the age ranges you need to provide.
- Repeat for each Language
Create a Pivot Table to get counts by age range:
- Copy all of the data from each of your queries into one spreadsheet
- Put in a row above your data and label it with appropriate column headings
- Click in the top left corner to highlight the entire table
- From the Data menu, select Pivot Table and report
- Allow the wizard to use your highlighted data as a source, and add the page to the current document.
- A new Sheet will be displayed, with a blank table in the top left corner and a Pivot Table Field list.
- Drag fields you want to have counts for to the "Drop Row Fields Here" area. For tables I created, I chose Language, then Patron type, then Age Range.
- Drag fields to be counted to the "Drop Data Fields Here" area. I used PatronID.
Your pivot table will have counts based on the Row fields.
Give this a try and see what you get!